Welcome to my blog! Losing weight and learning to survive it!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Hearty and Healthy Veggie Burritos At Home

One of my favorite things to make when I'm trying to get healthy is a Veggie Burrito. I got the idea from Taco Time's Veggie Burritos. I'm not a vegetarian, but that's no reason not to have a wonderful lunch or dinner chocked full of veggies and savory goodness! It's cheaper and healthier to make it yourself and you can control what you put into them.
Veggie burrito image


What You'll Need
  • Medium sized Burrito wraps (preferably whole wheat)
  • Cooked Rice (can be fried, steamed, Spanish, etc. The healthier option of course is to go steamed brown rice)
  • Re-fried Beans (canned or home made)
  • Sun Flower Kernels (try to go for the low sodium variety)
  • Tomatoes, diced
  • Fat Free Sour Cream
  • Any other Veggies you like to put on your tacos: lettuce, onions, olives, etc.
  • 1/2 Tbs of shredded cheese. (I like putting cheese on my tacos, but it does add calories so I keep it to a minimum).
Putting it Together
I use the oven for this but one can easily use a microwave. Usually I use left over rice, but I will include a Spanish rice recipe link at the end of the post. Spoon Re-Fried beans (you may need to heat separately depending on how much you like to put in the tortilla) onto the tortillas then sprinkle the rice then the cheese over it. Heat in the oven (350 degrees) for 5 min or in the microwave for 1 min.

Sprinkle sun flower kernels over the heated burrito, spoon a 1-2 Tbs dollop of sour cream, and pile on the veggies. Serve immediately for a tasty and healthy meal that fills me up every time.

Here are two videos I go to when I'm in a Spanish kick for good food. I often use the left overs from these to make Veggie Burritos later.
 Re-fried beans short cuts
I've made the Re-fried beans in this video a few times and it always turns out delicious! I have to restrain myself from trying to eat the whole pot. But even so, sometimes I don't feel like spending hours making them. When that happens I either buy canned re-fried beans or if I want to make it more personalized I take a can of cooked cannelloni or pinto beans, dump it in a blender with a roasted garlic clove and some olive oil (I also use a little of the liquid from the can). Blend or pulse for 10 seconds and presto! Yummy re-fried beans.

1 comment:

Thank you very much for your comments! I love hearing from you :)

© Me, Exactly Weight Loss Blog 2010-2013

Floating Social Media Buttons for Blogger by Itching And Burning Sensation

Get this